Placed within Manchester’s most vibrant district, one of the city’s finest hotels will soon be playing host to a six-month exhibition of photographic work by one of Manchester’s best up-and-coming music photographers, Charlotte Wellings.
Covering years of work–regularly appearing in top publications including The Guardian, Manchester Evening News and Gigwise – and featuring home-grown musical talent like Noel Gallagher, The Charlatans, the Happy Mondays and many more, the event will showcase Manchester’s rich musical history.
“I’m the first person selected to exhibit at INNSIDE Manchester, so it’s very exciting,” says Wellings. “Music is such a huge part of what makes this city great, so I’m really proud that my work is going to be displayed at such an amazing venue!”
INNSIDE Manchester is ideally situated to host events of this kind, directly opposite the Hacienda, former home of Factory Records and the hub of the city’s ‘Madchester’ scene. Housed in a striking red ten-story building which is part of the First Street development, next door to HOME – a new contemporary theatre for film and art.
The opening event on Thursday 15th June 2017 is open to press, and takes place in the hotel’s stylish restaurant. Starting at 8pm with a quick introduction by the hotel’s manager and leading on to a Q &A with famed Manchester music journalist John Robb where they will discuss Charlotte’s career.
The night will lead into live jazz music, opportunities for exhibit tours, followed by poetry from performance artist JB Barrington and ending with Manchester-based DJ Vince Vega spinning the tunes until midnight. During the evening there will be an auction for a signed The Charlatans print which will raise money for the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.
With lots of famous faces from the Manchester music scene attending, this looks set to be a night to remember for music and photography fans alike!
- The launch event for Charlotte Wellings exhibit takes place on Thursday 15th June 2017 at 8pm. Press are invited to attend. Free drinks and canapés will be provided to attendees. Find out more about the venue here
- About the artist: Charlotte Wellings is a Manchester-based music photographer who has photographed some of the top names in music, nationally and internationally. Discover Charlotte’s work on her website
- John Robb: Award-winning music journalist and musician in punk rock bands Goldblade and The Membranes.
- JB Barrington: Award-winning performance poet renowned for his searing and satirical poetry.
- Vince Vega: Happy Monday’s tour DJ Vince Vega