The Decade That Started It All.
From The Beatles, to The Kinks. The Who to The Stones, the 1960’s had it all.
In this series, we’re gonna take a look at the albums That Turn 55 in 2020. Albums that have milestone birthdays, celebrating 55 years.
So why not kick it off with the swinging sixties. The decade which brought us the summer of love, and numerous influential bands and artists broke through into the world.
Albums That Turn 55 in 2020.
As expected, there are a few milestone birthdays for The Beatles. Ranging from albums hitting milestone birthdays, to dates within the band’s history which became significant.
- Rubber Soul will turn 55 on 3rd December 2020. The album sold 1.2 million copies within the first nine days of sale, and is regarded to be one of the bands greatest albums by many fans.
- 7th July 2020 will see Ringo Starr turn 80, and the 9th October 2020 will mark what would have been John Lennon’s 80th too.
The Rolling Stones
There’s no question that The Rolling Stones were one of the biggest bands from the sixties, some may argue the biggest of them all.
- Rolling Stones 2 turned 55 on 15th January. Their second album peaked at number one in the UK charts.
- Also turning 55 this year will be Out Of Our Heads, which will hit the 55 mark on 24th September. This peaked at number 2 in the UK charts.
King of the mods, The Who were the band every mod idolised and every rocker hated. The scooters, the suits and the great music put this band in the history books, and it all started in the 60’s.
- Their debut album, My Generation, will hit 55 on 3rd December. The album is certified Gold in the UK, and hit 5th spot in the UK charts upon release.
- Pete Townshend will hit 75 on 19th May. He was not just the guitarist for the band, but wrote most of the material too.
The biggest contest to The Who, as fellow mods, The Kinks are regarded by some to be the best band of the sixties, and it’s not hard to see why. They released some incredible music.
- Kinda Kinks celebrated hitting 55 on 5th March. This was the bands second album, and featured one of their best known songs, Tired of Waiting for you.
- Kontroversy will also hit 55 this year, being released 26th November 1965. This album was when everyone realised the songwriting capabilities of the band, and it saw them bring in some early blues influences.
- It will be 55 years since Donovan signed to Pye Records, and also since he released his first two albums, ‘What’s Bin Did And What’s Bin Hid’ as well as, ‘Fairytale’.
- These albums featured some of Donovan’s biggest known songs, such as ‘Catch The Wind’, ‘Josie’, and ‘Colours’.
- He also released his single, ‘Universal Soldier’ in 1965, featuring some of his own compositions alongside the title track, originally by Buffy Saint-Marie
Other Notable Albums
- Bob Dylan’s Highway 61 Revisited will turn 55. Released 30th August 1965.
- The Hollies released their third album, Hollies, on 1st September 1965, turning it 55 this year.
- 2020 marks 55 years since the formation of Pink Floyd. The rest is history.
- It will be 60 years since The Beatles, The Four Seasons, The Temptations,formed.
- It will be 55 years since Canned Heat, Captain Beefheart, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Small Faces and The Turtles formed.
- It will be 60 years since Billy Fury released his debut album, ‘The Sound of Fury’. This saw him be referred to as England’s answer to Elvis.